Thursday, May 8, 2008

Interview: Zendulo of YouTube

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The following is an interview conducted with the fabulous Zendulo of YouTube fame. The Nerd Report caught up with her on AIM and had the opportunity to ask a few questions before we ran out of time. The names given for the interviewer and interviewee are not their actual AIM handles.

The Nerd Report: First thing's first. What got you started on vlogging?
Zendulo: A few of my friends in New York would get on iChat with me every few weeks and we'd just goof off and make each other laugh. They asked me to make YouTube videos. I didn't know anything about the YouTube community but I got on and found BenLoka and YourAverageAdam. They made it look really fun, so I gave it a shot. Now I'm totally addicted.
TNR: Okay. I know before getting started with YouTube, you did at least some amount of acting, with the Pizza Show and Daughter of the Dagon. What was your favorite role and/or sketch, if you have one?
Zen: Actually I just worked on a short film called The Communicators by Justin Boyes. I loved the script which was sort of a Mel Brooks take on 1950s scifi with a solid dose of political satire. I feel madly in love with the cast and now we're moving to LA together in the fall. Every time we see each other we end up writing sketches on napkins or leaving ideas for sketches on our phones. I loved Chloe from Daughter of the Dagon because I can relate. She's a big dork like me.
TNR: Hmmmm. Apart from Star Wars, which we already know, what's your favorite movie?
Zen: It's so hard to have favorites, I love so many movies! This question makes me hyperventilate. Last Crusade is my favorite Indiana Jones. I love most of the Bond Movies. I love Cloverfield. I think it's a milestone in filmmaking. Cool Runnings. Serenity. Um! Um! Army of Darkness. If I have to pick one, let's go with Army of Darkness.
TNR: Army of Darkness is good. You've attained some amount of popularity on YouTube since you started. Did you have any idea this would happen before you began vlogging?
Zen: Absolutely not. I was like, "WHAT? How many people watched that?! And they liked it? WHAT?! Awesome." It's inspired me a lot.
TNR: Well, what's not to like? You've got talent. Anyway, from what you've seen of your newfound fanbase, what do you think is the biggest misconception about you?
Zen: Wow! Interesting question! It's really strange to just be myself and have people interested in watching it. There have been a lot of people who think I'm acting like whatshername from LonelyGirl15. Especially after people found out that I teach, act, and direct as a day job. I try to take it as a compliment, but that's pretty weird.
TNR: You know, it's a reasonable suspicion, but the fact that your real name is easily found actually puts a damper on that; someone playing a prank would make it hard to find details on her. Okay, to wrap up, here's the big one: What drew you into nerd culture, so to speak? This may be too bold, but you frankly don't see many females of the species taking these kinds of interests. Was there any big influence towards that, or did it just sort of happen?
Zen: Hahaha! Great question. My Dad. My Mom too. But sharing Star Wars with my Dad as a kid was magical. I have amazing parents. I also have an awesome brother.

And I started noticing at a young age that there are different social standards for men and women. Girls do some ridiculous things sometimes because they are allowed to get away with it. Girls are encouraged to talk about their insecurities, while boys are taught to do something about it. Princess Leia was out there doing something about it. All the other women in movies that I'd seen were whining about something or some guy. Then I discovered a whole realm of bad ass women.

I decided I would rather know how to kick ass. I thought, "If Leia can still look good while coping with an interrogation droid - THAT would be something worth reading about in a women's magazine."

Nerd culture believes in people living to their fullest potential. There is a hero in everyman. There is an epic love in every block of carbonite. There is a happy ending. You just have to be willing to fight for it. If you're not willing to fight for it, then you're probably asking someone else to justify it for you, and that is a waste of time.

The dorks, nerds, and geeks - we just know how to live. We know how to believe. How could you not love it?

No comments: